The benefits of volunteering for any organisation far outweigh the costs.
The costs? Well, as a volunteer, you are offering your time, which means
you don't get paid. But by volunteering, you do gain experience and open
yourself up to a world of opportunity to be hired by the organization you
have volunteered for, or by another organisation that recognizes the value
of your contribution.
For the volunteer....
- personal attention in one-to-one relationships
- contact with the community
- experience in a field of interest
- the nurturing of new ideas
- the possibility of being hired as paid staff
- the opportunity to learn from different generations and cultures
- the opportunity to develop and exercise your ideas
For the organisation...
- new ideas
- opportunity to better reach and service the community
- feedback on the delivery of services
- a resource of experienced individuals they could hire if opportunity
- closer contact with the community